This post will updated as i find usability issues as i will be using Ubuntu 19.10 gnome 3.34 .
Machines i use to test Ubuntu 19.10:
- Dell insprion 3521 – 8Gb,Intel® Core™ i3-3217U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 4 , 500Gb SSD
- Dell 5577 – 8GB ,Intel® Core™ i7 7700u CPU @ 2.2GHz x4 & 1.80GHz x4 ,NVIDIA GTX 1050 250Gb SSD 1Tb HHD
Below are the issues i faced while using Ubuntu 19.10 these issues are not to criticize any technology or people who are working hard to bring Ubuntu and Gnome together.
I make bug reports too whenever necessary but these issues are one of those which are fixed already years ago. But are introduced again somehow due to transmission to gnome 3/gnome shell other technological changes in distribution itself.
I tried to focus on important issues which causing bad desktop user experience.
- Slow loading of menu, there is a delay in opening menu to launch applications. the menu animation and delay application are showing up is different on different machines, this is major issue for people who choose Ubuntu for productive work.
- Multitasking is truoble, due to lag in animations when you have so many application open the animation become slow. In Dock if you have multiple window of same app opened you have to make two clicks to reach the windows to make a simple switch.
- Big , random padding , unusual/unequal gap and margins in menus and widgets.
- Window manager behavior with Qt application is different than Gtk apps. ex- Window Snapping is not working, Resize grip not showing up hence windows/widgets with border-less Qt Widget Flag cannot be resized, while this works on KDE’s kwin and Unity 7.
- Have to make extra clicks to reach particular option on desktop/shell ex- in system tray to connect to a wifi network one have to click at least 4-5 clicks while this take 2 clicks on other desktop environments.
- Calendar button at center of top bar (which i don’t know why exist) opens a calendar widget with unusual padding which makes it cover half of my screen.
- Child Widgets of application always blocking the parent with a dark shade for no reason, even the widgets parameters are set not to block the parent window by developer in his code.
- No maximize buttons on widgets which can be resized specially on Qt Widgets.
- Window control buttons (Close,minimize,maximize) placement on title bar is having big margin hence user need to precisely look for close button while closing a window.
- No menus in most of gnome’s applications, this is replaced by a button which is not placed at same location in different application, so a user have to figure out where to find options to do things.
- Desktop Applications are not allowed to show up their icon if they want a system tray entry, while Extensions are allowed to use that place.
- Gnome apps are not consistent in behavior, some apps on resizing hiding features and placing them at random locations where they are not expected.
- Gnome shell application grouping has weird behaviors, ex- when making groups the whole group goes out of user’s visual site to some other locations in menu(developers should either keep the group at same place or take the user to location where the group moved).
- Scrolling in shell’s menu/launcher is not like in the rest of the system, i mean the smoothness etc is extra and scrolling to view page 2 takes user to last page. To go to page two, user have to click on mini dots placed on right side. These dots are also not staying consistent, sometime they become two sometime 3 for similar amount of application.
- Uses expect application to minimize when they click on the icon of opened application from dock, this does not happen by default, have to turn it on from dconf editor. This make multitasking a pain like this – users want to minimize app but he have to reach top right corner again and again to switch between applications.
- Window manager acting differently on Wayland session.
- Bluetooth was not working even after installing all driver listed by Additional drivers app on Dell insprion 3521 so i made a post base on my previous post which helped fixing this same issue on Ubuntu 16.04 LTS for Ubuntu 19.10 read it here.
to be continued…..