A simple walk-through in how we can host our WordPress site(s) in Digital Ocean (un-manage VPS) Cloud Server. Using Ubuntu and LAMP.
There’s a lot of WordPress hosting out there, and the price is affordable. But recently several developer friend at Theme Hybrid community shared that they move to Digital Ocean because of several reasons:
- Better server (response time, ssd storage, bandwidth) than shared hosting
- Dedicated IP for each droplet
- Simple interface/easy to use (for a unmanaged vps)
- Simple backup and we can create snapshot of our server
- Easier to scale when we need
- Amazing price, start at $5/month
- Charged per hour usage, so we can easily create a test site (for clients) and destroy it when we no longer need it.
What I Use
- $6, you can pay using credit card or paypal. I activate backup option and it cost 20% ($1) of the droplet usage cost ($5).
- I’m using windows computer (Windows 7)
- We need to install PuTTY to use SSH. You need to install PuTTY installer (the one with “A Windows installer for everything except PuTTYtel“)
- FileZilla to easily browse our server.
- Notepad ++ text editor. or any other text editor with syntax highlighting feature.
If you use windows, you need to install the PuTTY and Filezilla to do this walk-through. Notepad ++ is optional, you can use your preferred text editor.