Google Cloud Platform images now include the Google OS Config Agent.
Azure images will use /dev/ptp_hyperv as the main PTP refclock, to avoid conflicts with other PTP devices. (LP: #1913763 1)
- Support for accelerated Wayland-based desktop
- Support for GPIO via libgpiod and the new liblgpio (bug 1916901 9), and an updated gpiozero library with liblgpio support integrated
- Support for WiFi and Bluetooth on the Compute Module 4 (bug 1912905 3 and bug 1921915 1)
IBM Z and LinuxONE / s390x-specific enhancements since 20.10 (partially not limited to s390x):
- SMC-D v2 support was added to the kernel (bug 1853291) which enables docker connectivity. The smc-tools were upgraded to 1.5.0 (bug 1914034), SMC-R Link Group (LG) support added to the kernel (bug 1905023) and the s390-tools (bug 1887932), and wireshark was updated to include SMC support (bug 1887933).
- Support for HiperSockets/Ethernet Converged Interfaces was added to the kernel (bug 1853286) and s390-tools (bug 1891514), now allowing to form a single LAN based on HiperSockets and OSA/RoCE interfaces. The network configuration is simplified with a single network interface and provides the ability to communicate with z/OS hosts using HiperSockets Layer 2.
- Several virtualization stack improvements were added like enablement for enhanced hardware diagnose data of guest kernel (bug 1853313) and qemu (bug 1853314), full implementation of zPCI function properties in kernel (bug 1887923) and qemu (bug 1887922), support for virtio-fs was added (bug 1887924) as well as libvirt node device driver support for DASD (bug 1904701) and for vfio-ap matrix device (bug 1905019). In addition host key document verification for s390-tools genprotimg was added (bug 1882807).
- The NVMe support was expanded with IPL Load Normal support in kernel (bug 1887921) and s390-tools (bug 1887920) and stand-alone dump support again in kernel (bug 1887940) and s390-tools (bug 1892824).
- Log DASD EDIF capability was added to the kernel (bug 1853275 1) and s390-tools (bug 1853276).
- Valgrind was updated to v3.16.1 (bug 1825343) with additional IBM Z support (z14).
- The Server Time Protocol (STP) leap second handling was adjusted that required kernel (bug 1902046) and s390-tools (bug 1902047) changes.
- The s390-tools were updated to latest version 2.16.0 (bug 1914574), which includes zkey integration with EKMF stage1 (bug 1887806) and zkey LUKS2 enhancements (bug 1914214).
- The zcrypt device driver was improved to provide indications that ap bus initialization and bindings are complete (bug 1901674), additional state for ‘offline due to error’ was added to the kernel (bug 1902866) and the s390-tools (bug 1902865) and EP11 related enhancements for the pkey module and the zkey tool were done (bug 1902862). Opencryptoki was bumped to the latest version 3.15.1 with patches on top (bug 1906369), including PKCS #11 3.0 baseline provider support (bug 1904558), enhanced EP11 token functionality (bug 1904560) and improved key management tool support for key deletion (bug 1904561).
- qclib was upgraded to latest version 2.2.1 (bug 1902870), that includes utility commands for displaying the virtualization stack and info about the hardware platform (bug 1902874).
- Additional s390x specific improvements were added to binutils v2.35.1 (bug 1903874) and OpenBLAS v0.3.12 (bug 1904194).
- Missing kernel debug infos for the decompressor stage were added to the kernel-debug package (bug 1905020) and some kernel config options were adjusted (bug 1906370) and (bug 1908414).
- By making use of SCLP’s ‘extended-length-SCCB facility’ to read SCP and CPU info, current 4k limitations are solved and the preparation for future hardware take its course (bug 1925030).
- Several installer enhancements were added (that largely also landed in 20.04.2), like DASD FBA fixes and support (bug 1885890), (bug 1876011) and (bug 1899692), DASD ECKD pass over via virtio-blk support (bug 1893775), low-level DASD ECKD format support (bug 1887669), DASD ECKD ModA EAV (bug 1887669) and EAV-II support (bug 1878596), refinements in LVM handing (bug 1905412) and installer update improvements (bug 1921820).
Phased updates in APT
APT now respects phased updates, see the Phased updates in APT 21.04 156 thread for more details.
The package popularity-contest is no longer seeded and is not configured to submit information to popcon.ubuntu.com 21 as the client and server have been broken for multiple releases of Ubuntu.
Your comments, bug reports, patches and suggestions will help fix bugs and improve the quality of future releases. Please report bugs using the tools provided 22. If you want to help out with bugs, the Bug Squad 9 is always looking for help.